Monday 13 May 2013

Welcome to my first Photo of the Day!



The weather has been beautiful recently, and with my time in Spain drawing to an end, I have been trying to go to as many places as I can on the weekends. Even if it means only deciding at 3am Saturday morning, where to go and booking everything before waking up two hours later to catch the bus!

Yesterday morning, I was sitting in a café engrossed in an engaging conversation with Panos, talking about the usual things about life, where's it going and what to do next, he inspired and motivated me to get back to writing and set up this new segment of my blog.

I love taking photographs, and these days, I seem to be out more than I'm in, so a photo of the day seemed to be the ideal way to share my experiences quickly, easily and regularly. Thus most (or nearly all) of the photos here are unedited.
Since I don't have the time to write a thousand words everyday, I'll let a picture do it for me!

Since I last wrote, back on November 8th, I've been to:

Spain
  • Sevilla 
  • Cádiz
  • Granada
  • Tarifa
  • Antequerra
  • Zuheros
  • Almodóvar
  • Marbella
  • Málaga (more times than can count)
  • Costa De La Luz
  • Madrid x2
  • Toledo
  • Ávila
  • Segovia
  • Jaén
  • Mázagon
  • Sierra Nevada x2
Portugal
  • Sagres
Malta
  •  Victoria (Gozo)
  • Azure Window
  • Xlendi
  • Gharb
  • Masalforn
  • Blue Lagoon (Comino)
  • Sliema
  • St. Julian's
  • Valletta
  • Vittoriosa (Birgu)
  • Paola
  • Marsaxlokk
  • Rabat (L-Imdina)

I have a lot of catching up to do! So while I get round to that, I'll post some of my favourite pictures from my collection. Some more recent than others but each one will mean something special to me. 

The inaugural picture for this new segment was difficult to choose. I felt that it had to be from this last trip to Madrid since it's where this bad boy was conceived.
But I must admit, I didn't take as many photos as I thought I had.
I chose this one in the end simply because I like it.
It was taken at the Thyssen-Bornemisza. In it is the distinctive artistic work of Roy Lichtenstein at the end of a corridor. An artist that has spurned thousands of copies and printed reproductions, and inspired many a retro café decorator. 
Some things like works of art are timeless, while some things are transient.
Some people are happy to sit and let time pass by, content with security. While others (like me) always need an emergency exit, just in case.
For me, I try to appreciate the transient. I am a transient. Life is transient.
If you always do what other people tell you to do, you'll only ever be a copy, a reproduction of someone else's hopes and desires.
To be original, you have to do whatever it is that you want to do, live your own life and take advice, but never orders.
This corridor is like my time-line, with the end goal of living a life of original art.
And Panos, a new friend, acquaintance, and viewpoint. His path crossing mine for this brief but wonderful weekend in Madrid.



This picture was taken about 20 minutes after the aforementioned inspirational conversation yesterday morning. It was written on the wall at the hostel I stayed at. Potentially one of the most chic hostels I've ever stayed in. While the grammar isn't quite spot on, the message is clear enough.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment